Saturday, December 31, 2011

Movies 2-5/26

None of the movies I've watched so far in the challenge have inspired me to ramble on about them except Crazy Stupid Love, so I haven't been posting for each one. Here's quick recaps of my recent viewing:

Source Code is the most entertaining of the group. I had the "twist" figured out about 3 minutes in, but it was still fun to go on the journey. That actually made me feel a bit smug, because I never figure out twists and I don't think this one was particularly obvious. Nevertheless, this movie doesn't provide a lot of material for analysis or discussion--it's a definite "popcorn" movie. But maybe just a small popcorn--way more intellectual than something like Transformers (I'm assuming--never seen Transformers). Still...it's an interesting concept that was well-acted and well-directed. Plus, it's 2 hours of Jake Gyllenhaal, which is always a plus in my book.

About Schmidt has been one of those on my "I really should watch that" list for a while, so when it came on Starz this month I went ahead and tuned in. It was definitely a superior film, and I think the only reason I don't want to write a novel about it is because I'm not particularly a fan of Jack Nicholson, so that dampened my enjoyment. But even that wasn't enough to make me *dislike* him--on the contrary, I cared deeply for Schmidt. Sure, he's kind of an ass, but that's what makes him so believable and relatable. By the time he did the speech at his daughter's wedding, there was a soft spot in my heart for Schmidt. This isn't a movie that will go into heavy rewatching rotation for me, but I wouldn't be adverse to tuning in again later.

Friends with Benefits is one that I watched out of curiousity more than anything. I'd watched its counterpart No Strings Attached several months ago and was surprised by how much I liked it (and it just appeared on Netflix streaming, so yay for rewatches!). Because they seemed like essentially the same movie, I decided to give FWB a chance. It is funnier than NSA, but it just felt like it was missing something. I was surprised to like the lead actors as much as I did, and there was some great casting for supporting characters, too. But in the end, I couldn't even make it all the way through a second viewing (usually a habit of mine).

From Prada to Nada is not counting because it's another "F," but I had to warn people to stay far, far away. It's an adaptation of Sense and Sensibility, which is why I queued it up in the first place (I'm Jane Austen's whore), but it's just horribly disappointing. Unfortunately, the acting is terrible (even from actors I've liked in other things), the two leads are orange, the plotting is clunky, and the romantic couples have minimal chemistry. The Nora and Edward characters are somewhat okay together, but they're hampered by this weird janitor lawsuit subplot that just detracts from the traditional story instead of enhancing it. The thing that stuck with me the most from the movie: sometime in the last few years, Fez (from That 70s Show) became super hot (I didn't even realize it was him until the last 10 minutes...and then I felt like a moron and had to go back and rewatch scenes to obsess about how blind I was). Also, there were two weird directorial choices: constant freeze-framing at the beginning that almost caused me to turn it off (why, why didn't I?) and a total lack of music in several scenes that required it, including a wedding celebration (there has to be royalty-free music that would fit?).

The Last Word was a neat concept: a guy makes a living writing suicide notes for others. And I really think it could have been a great movie, but the actors felt like they were all just phoning it in. Wes Bentley did a decent job, but it just wasn't enough. I guess the director had called for "low-key" acting, but between a mourning Winona Ryder and a depressed Ray Romano, this movie came close to making me want to enlist Evan's note-writing services.



No comments:

Post a Comment