Sunday, December 4, 2011

Movie 1/26: Crazy Stupid Love

I can't figure out how to punctuate the title of this movie. All material I read says Crazy, Stupid, Love, but the DVD box just says Crazy Stupid Love. I'm going with the box because I like tangible sources.

If I ever had any plans of rating each movie I watched with a star system (truth: I didn't), this movie would have completely screwed that up right out of the gate. I would have spent hours debating between 2, 3, or 4 stars. In the end, I probably would have settled on 3.27 slightly transparent stars.

There's a lot to like about this movie. It has a stellar cast, no doubt, and the chemistry between all of the actors (romantic and bromantic [I can't believe I just typed that word]) is wonderful. Ryan Gosling continues to be a fantastic actor (and unbelievably sexy to boot), and I always love Steve Carell when he does more dramatic roles. I've adored Julianne Moore for as long as I can remember, and I'm fast becoming a fan of anything Emma Stone does (although I still can't bring myself to watch The Help. It just looks too sappy and forced heartwarming.). Added bonus: Josh Groban. Not a fan of his music, but I have a total crush on the dude (if you've watched his appearances on Nevermind the Buzzcocks and didn't get a crush on him, please tell me your secret). He plays a complete douche, but I didn't care because it was Josh.

The film also has some truly hilarious and well-acted dramatic moments. It's ridiculous at (many) times, but it also feels very real. There's good character development throughout the movie, with the typical stumbles and lapses you'd expect a real person to have as they move toward great changes.

In the end, I think if the storyline with the teenage babysitter love triangle weren't in the movie, I would have liked it a lot more. Granted it contributed greatly to the movie's funniest scene, but the whole deal just squicked me out to the point where I couldn't get past it.
Also, Marissa Tomei's character was a total PITA, and a complete embarrassment to Eighth Grade English Teachers everywhere (sidenote: In what world is it appropriate to read Scarlet Letter in eighth grade? I'm waiting for the fallout from teaching Much Ado About Nothing each year, and this woman's getting to teach Scarlet Letter to junior high kids? No dice, people.).

No comments:

Post a Comment